Thursday 17 September 2020

Desperate to Get Away

Having been denied holidays for the last 6+ months, including cancelling a trip to Cordoba/Jerez/Gibraltar and a "special" holiday safariing in both South Africa and Botswana, we are both heartily sick of our 4 walls.  A recent long weekend in Wales gave us a bit of confidence that other people would be sensible and respectful of our space, so we (I) decided to be brave and consider flying.  I first thought of Portugal but we didn't want a beach holiday and I really don't know enough about the country to pick a rural area.  Then I briefly considered Greece, but that seemed to be on the watch list for rising cases, so I switched my attention to Italy and specifically Tuscany as we'd enjoyed a fantastic holiday there some 12 years ago.

We booked flights with BA, Heathrow to Pisa and also a hire care through them, happy in the knowledge that we could cancel should we need to.  

There were lots of self catering accommodations to choose from, all great in certain aspects and not so good in others (+ on a farm - no internet/tiny kitchen/hideously expensive etc) but we more or less decided on one which was on a olive farm and whilst the accommodation itself was a bit small and pokey we liked the sound of being on a working farm.  I had several exchanges of messages with the owner but because of the ever changing situation and a non refundable charge, we decided to leave it to the last minute in case Italy decided to quarantine UK arrivals.  In the meantime I carried on looking and on a different accommodation site found a pretty near perfect apartment on the outskirts of Casole d'Elsa.  From the pictures, it looked a fairly modern building (or conversion) and the interior was bright and nicely decorated plus the views from the little terrace were breathtaking.  Then we read the reviews, I've never seen so many glowing reports of the friendliness of the owners and the perfectness of the place.  SOLD.

Unfortunately despite promising Ian no more early morning flights, this one was at 0835 so it still meant an early start.  Up at silly o'clock we arrived at what we thought when we booked was Heathrow Valet Parking but turned out to be some outfit that take your car off site.  There were horror stories a few years ago but given that our car is 10+ years old we figured it can't get too badly damaged.

Much to my chagrin Ian is a BA Gold Card Holder.  Due to my massive booking fest in 2019 I got Silver status quite quickly and then Ian did too after Oz.  Our qualifying year ends are slightly different and because of the lack of opportunities to travel, BA very generously decided to gift Gold Status to those Silvers whose points year was in a certain period and that included Ian!!!!

Not all BA's Heathrow lounges have reopened but the First Lounge South at T5 has and Ian was eligible plus he could take a guest.  Compared to the Business Lounges it was a haven of calm and very spacious,  At each little, well spaced table/chair set, there was a QR Code which when scanned bought up BA's menu and you simply selected the items you wanted and within minutes they were delivered to your table.  Collection of empties and wiping of surfaces was also extremely efficient and thorough.  All credit to BA - well done.

T5 was very empty and we had to get the little train out to B gates, unfortunately there were a few people around who thought carrying their mask in their hand was sufficient.  I asked one late teens to kindly put it on, which he did, and as I walked away I heard his father giving him a right telling off - how come he hadn't noticed?

We were at the gate early and there was plenty of room to sit apart, boarding was done in strict row number and only a few stood too close for my comfort.  I told the stewardesses on boarding that I was slightly trepidatious but they assured me it would be fine, especially as we had window and middle seats of an exit row so plenty of room around.  Before we touched anything I wiped down the seat belts, arm rests and tables and I was pleased to see the chap next to Ian do the same as it evidenced that he took it seriously too - I'd been dreading either of us being sat next to an "I'm not wearing a mask, I don't care" pr*t.  Ian made sure he faced towards me the whole time and his neighbour faced outwards.

We were all given a small bottle of water, bag of crisps and a couple of biscuits but having had a good breakfast, neither of us bothered.

When we landed the tannoy announcement said everyone must remain seated and would be called to disembark by row - fat chance I thought, knowing the way people usually jump up instantly.  But no, not one person stood up prematurely - I was really pleased.  As we were leaving the stewardesses asked me how it had gone and I thanked them very much for doing such an excellent job.

Passport Control and baggage reclaim were relatively straightforward and, once again, every kept their distance.  So after a quick loo stop (where I did have to remind two young girls changing into very skimpy outfits that their masks needed to cover their faces not their elbows) we set off to find the Avis car hire desk which is described as at Pisa Airport.

Some 20 mins later and, having dragged our cases for probably best part of a mile, we found the Avis desk.  After a short wait I had to give basic details of our reservation and we were then told to sit under a gazebo along with a load of others and wait about 10-15 mins for someone to phone me and do the contract then I was to go back to the desk to be given the car keys - this is for a pre-booked, pre-paid hire car.  The call duly came through and I repeated the necessary details but was then asked to give my credit card details.  I immediately asked if it was a secure line, it wasn't (new system apparently only just set up due to Covid!) and besides that there was a whole bunch of strangers sitting around me.  So I had to go back into the booth and explain that they needed to take my credit card details - actually they took all the details again even those they'd taken already.  What a palaver.  Finally I was given the key and told there were 3 small dents on the car; no there were about 8 dents plus numerous scratches so back to the booth I went.  Someone then came out and seeing that I'd already circled the relevant places on the car simply signed my form - not that I would, but presumably I can then just add any further knocks and bumps as he didn't take a copy.

Finally about 1 1/2 hours after landing we hit the road in our nice little Corsa, no name as unfortunately it doesn't have any character whatsoever, but it is nice and easy to drive.